For over 150 years our hotel has been welcoming guests to the historical village of Cong. In the 19th Century Mr Burkes Hotel (as it was then called) was known all over Ireland for the hospitality it provided to travellers in the west of Ireland.
Today, Ryan’s Hotel continues to provide a warm welcome to visitors at the heart of Cong.
A Family Run Hotel
Ryan’s Hotel is very much a family affair. For the last twelve years it has been owned and operated by chef-proprietors Denis Lenihan and Michael Crowe and their families.
The personal attention to detail and friendly hospitality are reflected in the many positive reviews the hotel has received:
“They made us feel unbelievably comfortable and like good friends..” and;
“Irish hospitality at it’s best”
are just two of the kind reviews that the hotel and staff have recently received.
At The Heart of Cong
Cong is a small village with a great deal to offer and at the heart of the village is Ryan’s Hotel. Centrally located on the Main Street, the hotel is only a minutes walk from shops, art and craft galleries, the Abbey ruins, the forest of Cong and the Ashford Castle Estate.
Steeped in History
Ryan’s Hotel began life as Mr Burkes Hotel (latterly Burkes Hotel) in the middle of the 19th Century. An overnight stay by the Earl of Carlisle prompted a name change to the “Carlisle Arms Hotel” in the 1870’s. By the 1920’s the name had changed again to “Ryan’s Hotel” and that name persists to this day.
The hotel has been host to many famous guests. It was mentioned by Sir William Wilde (the father of Oscar) in his book about Lough Corrib. Michael Davitt (founder of the Irish National Land League) and his son stayed at the hotel in the late 19th century. Padraig Pearse (one of the leaders of the 1916 Rising) stayed at the hotel on a number of occasions in the early 20th century.
More recently, in 2011, the hotel was host to Maureen O’Hara on the occasion of the sixtieth anniversary of the filming of “The Quiet Man”.
00 353 94 954 6243